Friday, February 22, 2008

I drink therefore I am


At the moment I'm enjoying a well deserved cocktail on Friday night after a busy week (thanks for the housewarming gift Nav), and I'm about to go off on another break from school for reading week, more popularly known as 'slack week'.

There's a fair bit to update on at the moment and some pretty cool stuff coming up, but despite it all, and despite the fact that it's an old fashioned cold, snowy winter, the middle of February still sucks the big one! There's just something about the dead of winter...

Next week will be a pretty busy one:
  • tomorrow is Poonjambi at Nav's place, a fancy name for a good ol' drink up and all day jam session at Nav's place in Greensville. Haven't played with the boys for a couple of months so it should be fun
  • laying a new hardwood floor in the family room at home. The old rug in there is disgusting and still bears the scars of our old cat Norman wiping his ass on it. Go figure that there are 5 or 6 rooms in the house with carpeting but he liked to regularly wipe off his cling-ons in the family room.
  • I have my first customer next week! It's actually a referral from Anne (one of the instructors at UWO) and is an old wreck of a piano - can't wait! I guess I better get my shit together and figure out what my rates are...
  • I'm supposed to work at Merriam for a half day or whatever next week but I haven't firmed anything up yet.
  • I had two very promising interviews for the internships this summer but am just waiting to hear back from them.
  • I have a line on a free grand piano! There is a lady in Guelph who's been trying to get UWO to take the piano into the course for a refurb like the ones we're doing this term, but for one reason and another Anne doesn't want it, and the owner can't afford to do the job privately, so it is kind of 'free to a good home' at this point. If it plays I'll take it, then if I don't get to it for a year or two so what. Squeezing it into the house will be another matter but that's a good problem to have. At this point I'm not sure I can do much more with the old upright we got last autumn, but it's filled its role of giving me something to practice on during weekends and gotten Maddy back into playing the piano and taking lessons.
  • The class has scattered to the four corners, well sort of anyway. Joan is off to Wintergrass in Washington state, Michael is down to NC to visit with the missus, Ryan and Ian have gone to Florida to apply for a Master's Piano Technician program, and most of the others are either heading home or hanging in London.
And by the way, thanks to many of you for your comments by email, but remember you can also post your comments right here in the blog where others can see them too.

Cheers!